Everyone keeps reminding me that it rains a lot in Portland, as if this will make me rethink my plans to move there in a couple of years. Let me tell you about some recent experiences in Philadelphia on SEPTA (the public transit system).
1. "There is a raccoon!" This is what the nice man who sits behind the (likely bullet proof) glass and about 10 high school kids in the Allegheny subway station were yelling at me the other week as I attempted to pay my fare for the train. They were right, there was a large and active raccoon on the subway platform in the middle of the day. Reactions were mixed. Some, like me, were trying to get as far away as possible from the roving creature and others wanted to make sure they captured this moment in history via photograph or video on their cellular telephones.
2. I wouldn't want you to think that oddities on the subway are unusual. This week, I had to be in the same subway car as students who were smoking on the train. Inside the subway car. In DC this business of drinking 40's, smoking cigarettes, dropping nut shells everywhere, and spitting on the floor would have never been tolerated for a second, even when waiting on the platform for the train. In Philadelphia, these are all considered normal behaviors both inside and while waiting for the train.
3. Other memorable subway experiences have included watching a student vomit on himself from being so drunk, having a rat come come at me and Enrique (again, on the platform with us), and seeing parents verbally and physically abuse their children.
Needless to say, I have really high hopes for the public transportation system in Portland. In the short term, I can't wait for the weather to stay warm so I can ride my scooter regularly.
In other recent news Philadelphia that is less personal: the kensington strangler and murdering abortion doctor.
Don't get me wrong. Philadelphia has a lot of great things to offer as well, particularly in the area of affordable and delicious food. I really do like living here with the exception of the cold weather and for me it is a huge improvement over living in DC. My point here is that rain really isn't making me not want to move to Portland. Better arguments for not moving there include: being an extra 3,000 miles from my family and many of my good friends and not having a job.
3 comments:
let me see if I can start making portland sound like a feasible alternative to philadelphia. i have not yet seen anyone vomit on themselves. the mass transit is not underground. raccoons sound possible as Portland is very foresty. It rained a lot this winter, which hopefully means next winter will be more mild. think of it as trading seriously cold weather for more mild, but wet weather. awesome coffee, cute movie theaters, interview free dog parks, powell's, adventure awaits!
plus you grew up in a place that rains a lot (or is at least overcast a lot) so it's something that you're used to. The whole northwest is absolutely beautiful. I think it's a great choice.Except that it rains a lot
well, according to some fancy chart I looked at... you're only going to get about 40 more days of rain than you would in philadelphia. It might seem like a lot, but those could include days where you just get a sprinkle. & according to the chart, philly actually gets on average about 4 more inches of rain per year than portland. So, whatevs. Rain is really no big deal unless you live in Los Angeles. Then it is like the apocalypse.
Post a Comment