Popular Posts

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

recipe tuesday

I had to actually double check that today was Tuesday. Not working has my mind screwed up, but I kind of like it. So in keeping with last week, here is another Tuesday recipe. Actually I am giving you two. The first one is taken from the Food 52 website, so I can't actually claim any credit for inventing or altering it. However, it is delicious. Like "I wish I was eating this every second" delicious. 

1. Mozzarella and Roasted Cherry Tomato Salad. Find the recipe hereIn a nutshell: Basically you want to get 1 or 2 cups of cherry tomatoes, roast them up in some oil with garlic (yum!) and then slap them on top of some fresh mozzarella slices. Garnish with basil and eat away. I will say that I just used one color of tomatoes, regular salt, no pepper, and forgot to add the basil (which I had bought) and it was still super delicious. I wasn't aware how delicious roasted tomatoes are, so if you already know about their awesomeness, this recipe might not be as mind blowing for you. 



2. Lomo Saltado- modified to use Chicken.
Enrique and I aren't big beef eaters, so I took a traditional recipe of Lomo Saltado (a very typical Peruvian dish) and modified it to use chicken. If you love beef, you can use beef stock and 1/4 in strips of beef tenderloin.







Enrique LOVES when I make this. It is very easy to make, the only trick is that you need a special pepper sauce called aji amarillo, which isn't at any regular supermarket I have ever seen. It is a yellow pepper sauce (also available as a powder, but I am not sure how this works). You should be able to find it at some Latino markets (although not Mexican markets- because it is a South American chile) or online. This is a pretty vital ingredient, so I wouldn't recommend making this without the aji. 

1 comment:

Kristen P - "Praz" said...

i love roasted tomatoes... that first dish sounds so good especially maybe with a side of angelhair. Ughhhh I want this now.
The second one sounds like it is right up John's alley, with either chicken or beef. I will try to see if I can get my hands on that special pepper.

aren't you glad I reminded you about your blog so you didn't mis recipe tuesday?? today it was like Recipe Twosday! Cuz you gave us 2!