Popular Posts

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

sushi

Yesterday I tried a piece of sushi and liked it. If you know me, this is weird because I am a pretty adament hater of all things sushi and sushi-related.
Typical conversation:
anyone: "Sara, do you want to get something to eat"
me: "yes, anything but sushi"

I was alone, so there was no pressure to swallow the thing if I didn't like it, and no one to say "I told you so" when I did eat it. Perfect trying-new-food conditions.
I bought sandwiches for dinner last night and when you spend a certain amount of $$, you get 6 rolls of sushi for free (weird right?). So I thought what the heck, I can just eat one and no one will be the wiser.
I have only had sushi once before- and I really had a very hard time swallowing it and only did because there was a crowd watching my first taste (this was at marta's birthday like forever ago (or about 6 years)).

This sushi eating was sort of life altering, so bear with me while I process it over the coming days. I mean, I have always believed that my serious food holdouts were: onions & peppers, sushi, olives, and mushrooms. Now that sushi is off the list, what else could happen? The world is open to new possibilities.

Sushi Photo by flickr user tucker_zoe 

5 comments:

Kristen P - "Praz" said...

ummm details! Was it a roll or sushi? I think roll... but you said you hated the seaweed. or that's what you thought. What kind? tuna? salmon? (my fave)

Also I love this:
"yes, anything but sushi" yeah, right!

I firmly believe that even though sushi is off the list you will find something else to replace it with!

ssHUMANs said...

it was crab stick with avocado (seaweed & rice too). it was called california. is this regular sushi? i don't know exactly what the stick part means

Athena said...

I'm with you Sara, but lots of things on a sushi menu used cooked seafood, like the crab you had, or are vegetarian-- I stick with those items.

Unknown said...

there's no turning back. i know plenty of people that say they 'love sushi' (okay, i know 2 people), but they stick to the cooked stuff. I just wanted to add, that i have always found you to be a good sport at the table, unafraid to accompany me to sushi, even though you weren't going to touch the stuff. california roll is pretty standard, and a good start.

Kristen P - "Praz" said...

california roll is OK. Not my fav, but usually because the crab tastes imitation (because it usually is). If you like the cooked kind, you could try "salmon skin roll" which is cooked... "shrimp tempura rolls" are also good. I like eel, but it's high in cholesterol. I want you to come back and visit so we can go to Sushi Mac and try all the rolls, at cheap prices! I think you can be turned around on the raw types because you do like ceviche and even though it's "cooked" in the juices... it's really not "cooked" IMO!