Popular Posts

Monday, July 19, 2010

Wriggle Farmer




Worm Composting. That's what's going on here. I've throw in the towel on backyard run of the mill composting because that stupid thing (See 2nd or 3rd post) takes FOR-EV-ER and I just don't have the patience. A few weeks ago I went to a worm composting class at Greensgrow Farms (Home of my CSA) and fell in love (with both the idea of worms eating our food scraps instead of throwing it away and the super cute worm boy showing us the ropes).
I asked Lucas to build me a box, which he did (to the extreme). Then I just had to add some food scraps (pretty much anything but meat, dairy or dog poo can be added), some dirt - I added my previous outside attempt at compost, water soaked and squeezed shredded up newspaper and the worms - red wrigglers. You just add new food every weeks and make sure that the whole deal stays a good mix of wet and dry. I have it in my basements and it's not supposed to stink or attract bugs- so worm boy says. He also says that they will eat 1/2 their weight in food each day. I got a pound of worms - so that is 1/2 pound of food a day. The worms also apparently reproduce like wild - so Lucas must have been very in tune with worm composting, since he made such a huge bin.
Looove,
Worm Bloaster MaGee

1 comment:

Kristen P - "Praz" said...

worms are so cool! I did a project on them in 4th grade and it was so much fun! Worms are the only creepy crawly thing that don't scare me. I want updates on the worms and how they multiple and what they eat and poop! this is cool!