I don't really know the extent of panettone's popularity in other countries, but in Peru is a big delicious deal. I once arrived to Peru and asked a cab driver to take me to a particular hostel. He helped me call the hostel first to make sure it had rooms, and it didn't. He told me he knew a place where I could get a room. When we got there the lady who worked at the hostel gave him a panettone as his commission for finding a guest.
If you don't know what panettone looks like, here is a picture of the box. You have probably seen it at the store. I believe it is a big deal in Italy also, since many of the boxes are either in Italian or have an Italian flag.
My understanding is that the bread is usually eaten on special occasions, especially the Christmas holidays. Last time E and I went to his mom's house, we bought her a panettone from the store as a special treat and it was immediately opened and eaten.
Anyway, Enrique loves panettone like I love a good bowl of macaroni and cheese (side note: which I once had a delicious bowl of in Portland with tahn and franz- I am still dreaming about this). Which is to say he loves it and would eat it all the time if it wasn't kind of pricey (this box cost me $6), usually only available at the Latin America stores, and not healthy.
If you or someone you know also loves panettone, then I want to recommend this Panettone Bread Pudding recipe (with my notes). This is like the mother of all food treats for Enrique. We made it at Christmas-time for my extended family, and even the people who said they didn't like bread pudding were eating it up.
Ingredients:
1/2 cup golden raisins (Pretty sure any color would work. Panettone already comes with raisins, so this is flexible)
1/4 cup brandy, heated (totally optional, I have made it w/ & w/o)
1/4- 1/2 stick unsalted butter (I definitely only use 1/4 or less, the recipe calls for a 1/2 stick which seems extreme)
1 lb. panettone, slices 1 in. thick
3/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 1/2 cups half and half
2 Tbsp vanilla extract
Instructions:
- If you are using the brandy: Soak raisins in hot brandy for 15 minutes, then drain.
- Butter panettone on both sides and cook one or two at a time in a large heavy skillet over medium heat until golden brown on both sides
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients (remember: eggs are slightly beaten before adding to half and half, sugar and vanilla)
- Tear panettone into bite-size pieces and spread evenly in a buttered 13x9 in. shallow baking dish.
- Scatter raisins over top and then pour egg mixture over the top. Let stand 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (rack in the middle)
- Bake until pudding is golden brown and just set, about 35 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temp
The result:


1 comment:
When my parents were here we went to Fogo De Chao and they gave everyone a Panettone as a gift, so I looked online for a recipe for the bread pudding. It's in the oven now, and after I'd made it I remembered that YOU had posted this. I'm hoping mine is as good as yours was. The recipe is very different (called for many more eggs (well...yolks). Lucas's cholesterol will be through the roof after this one! Oh, also, since I didn't have half and half on hand- I used almond milk. :) We shall see! :)
Post a Comment