Popular Posts

Friday, February 3, 2012

on volunteering

I just came home from tutoring Y, a second grader who is the daughter of two Mexican immigrants who currently live in South Philadelphia. Y is awesome. She loves to learn (and have someone listen to her), she has two great parents and she is super smart. The only problem is, she doesn't speak much English, which seriously hinders her ability to follow along in school. And her parents don't speak much English, so that can't really help her with her homework. Oh, and her parents work long hours six days a week and are only off on Fridays, a day she is in school. I don't understand how people can lump "undocumented" immigrants into hateful categories after getting to know the families who represent these groups.

I have been working with Puentes de Salud for a little over a year, but because of night classes, I haven't been able to spent more than one or two nights a week there. Now I am regularly spending three, four, or even five nights a week volunteering. I tutor, give little talks to parents about different health topics and sometimes work at the health clinic that provides uninsured patients with healthcare. Even though this sometimes means I am rushing around a little more than I am comfortable with, I feel like I have something really good going on. On the way home today, I forgot to bring a book for the train and instead spent some time trying to figure out why I love working with Puentes so much. I won't share all of the reasons here, but I would highly recommend finding a place you love to spend time too.

Here is a quote which I often share with my students when we discuss the US-Mexico border and/or racism/discrimination against immigrants. Although the immigrants in Philadelphia typically don't work in the fields (although just south of city in Chester, PA they do), they are typically the ones preparing, cooking and cleaning our food in most restaurants, so I think this still applies.

“Every time we sit at a table to enjoy the fruits and grain and vegetables from our good earth, remember that they come from the work of men and women and children who have been exploited for generations.”
Cesar Chavez, Co-Founder, United Farm Workers

No comments: