Popular Posts

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Banana Blueberry Muffins


I was having a disaster of a day yesterday, part of which included making these muffins. I started making them and realized I didn't have any sugar. So I went to CVS and bought sugar. Then after I started baking again I realized I didn't have any wheat germ, which the original recipe calls for. Then I found out that all my brown sugar was hard as a rock. I usually try and do a very careful job of sealing it up in an airtight container, but I guess that doesn't always happen as evidenced by the hard lump of sugar I found. I smashed the brown sugar up over heat on the stovetop the best I could and just supplemented regular sugar for what was lacking. I couldn't bring myself to go to the store twice before breakfast.

Yummy Blueberry-Banana-Raisin Muffins
Ingredients:




  • 1 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour


  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour


  • 1 teaspoon baking soda


  • 1/2 teaspoon salt


  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature


  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar


  • 1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar

  • 2 large eggs


  • 2 ripe bananas 


  • 1/3 cup milk


  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract


  • 1 cup frozen blueberries


  • Handful of raisins (optional)




  • Directions: 


  • Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.


  • Prepare a muffin pan with paper liners. I find this recipe makes twelve large muffins or 16 smaller ones.


  •  In a bowl, whisk together flours, baking soda, and salt.


  • In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars with a mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, making sure they are mixed well. 


  • In another bowl, mash the bananas, and add the milk and vanilla


  • In the mixer (low setting) add the flour and banana mixtures alternately to the sugar/egg mix. Start and end with the flour mixture.


  • Finally, with a spoon fold in frozen blueberries and raisins.


  • Spoon batter into muffin cups. 

  • Bake about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Rotate the muffin pan about halfway through.

    1 comment:

    Kristen P - "Praz" said...

    yummy!
    I put my brown sugar in a ziploc and whenever I need to buy more or am getting low I throw the new box/bag in the old ziploc... so all of my various brands of brown sugar (surprisingly how many diff ones there are!) all mix together -- but I DO segregate light & dark. I used to keep it in a cannister, but sometimes I ended up with a rock and I did not like that. I think it might have something to do with moisture in the air. I don't know - you're the scientist, sort of.