As I wait for my last paycheck from work, I am also coming up with ways that we can adjust our style of living to go from 1 full time employee and 1 full time student to 2 full time students.
One of my favorite finance websites is Get Rich Slowly which this week had an article encouraging people to consider what they would do if they lost 50% of their income. What was interesting (at least to me) about this article is that they asked not only the obvious questions "what would you cut from your expenses?" but also, "how can you work to double your income?"
For saving $ strategies, moving from DC to Philadelphia will make a big difference. We will be saving approx. $7,500 a year in rent in our new place in Phila. Getting rid of cable, gym memberships, eating out less and less shopping will also save money. As far as brainstorming ways to boost my income, I am not coming up with any great ideas. If you have any $ saving or $ boosting suggestions, I would love to hear them.
This is a picture of electrical wires in Brazil. People create their own illegal hook-ups and save money by not paying an electricity bill. This looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

4 comments:
1. the building next to ours is doing one of those illegal electricity hookups... John is pissed and wants to call the authorities.
2. for any shopping things, i tried to ask myself a series of questions before purchasing: do I need this item? do I already have something similar at home? is this the best price for this item? etc etc. It does help and stops me from buying even the most mundane items like hair ties and lotions, when I know I have a boatload at home.
3. I don't really know how to boost your income, besides taking some part time work, which I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have time for. Do you have anything you could sell on the internet? Or you could scour thrift stores and garage sales for items to consign to Buffalo exchange or other buy/trade stores. That might be risky though.
Oh... I always think of this when it's too late, but if there are any events late this summer in Philly, concerts or other things, set up a cooler on the sidewalk and sell bottled water for $1... people do this in Vegas and make a killing. I am always happy to fork over $1 when I am dying of thirst because it is better than paying like $4 somewhere else. Also these people are making ridiculous profit because you can buy a case of water for $4! I mean I know it sounds weird but I would so do it if I had the balls.
I will try to come up with more ideas! You know me!
PS actually this topic is so funny b/c my friend was asking another friend (Nick of N&P) who is notorious for screwing with people. And Nick tells this friend these ways to "save money":
-only shop at Whole Foods
-eat out a lot, surprisingly you will save money
-join Costco and buy in bulk (telling him there is not cost to going costco)
-stop tipping when you go out to eat!
-go out to eat with big groups and when the bill comes pretend to throw in money. Wait out the confusion and then just throw in a couple "extra" dollars to look like a good guy.
:D
OMG WHY DID I COMMENT 3 times!!! it kept telling me "too large to post" so i'm sorry for the multiple comments!
Post a Comment