Popular Posts

Thursday, June 10, 2010

When I say rural...



I mean rural Pennsylvania. Not Lancaster, not Harrisburg, not the suburbs of Washington, DC.  (Also, not crazy parts of West Virginia which are really rural)
A dear friend called Alexandria, Virginia a small town (or "the country" I can't remember) recently, then today another friend told me that she couldn't believe that the majority of her relatives in Alabama had guns in their homes (trying to illustrate that it was really country and things are done differently down there). 

Let's compare:
Alexandria Va's: 143,885 people; 61,889 households, and 27,726 families residing in the city. Not to mention that it is part of the DC Metro region with a pop of approx. 5 million. 

Windham Township, PA (where my parents live): 967 people, 362 households, and 289 families residing in the township.

In other words, if all the people in Windham moved to Alexandria, VA they would make up less than 1.0% of the population. 

I can't find any statistics about guns, but I am pretty sure that everyone in Windham has them in their house. The local PA public schools have the first day of deer hunting season as a vacation day so the kids can go hunting. 

This being said, it is a total beautiful place to visit, so you can be excited about coming to visit. Also, if you are bringing a car in August, there is lot of outdoorsy stuff to do (as your bookmark referenced). 

Your trip will involve a dirt road.Don't say I didn't tell you. 

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Wooooo!!!!!!!

Kristen P - "Praz" said...

Yes, that is definitely rural! Small towns are fun to visit (not live)! The "town" my mom lived in a few years ago has a mere 1,300 residents even though somehow they have like 10 churches and 15 bars. I don't get it. She now lives in the booming metropolis of Little Falls, population 8,000!
I love small little towns and passing population signs that say Population: 67 and I am pretty sure I passed a sign once that said 13!!! though with the new census this year maybe they'll jump to a whopping 15. I wish all city signs posted their population. Los Angeles, population 10,000,000 +