Popular Posts

Monday, June 21, 2010

Food & Friends


To plan the wedding menu, I asked friends to try out some recipes and then let me know what they thought. You can see Kristen's review of blueberry muffins on her website. I think these are a definite winner for a breakfast food. Other foods to be reviewed include stuffed tomatoes, chickpea salad, mini zuchinni and goat cheese tartlets, marinated feta cheese, and spanakopita. I copied this "cook and review" idea from the Food 52 website.

This week I volunteered to review a recipe for Food 52 in the category of "Best use of Lemon, Thyme, and a Grill." I made the Peaches-n-Herb recipe. I picked this because 1. the other things I wanted were already taken, 2. It is just a little bit outside of my food comfort zone. I was really turned off at the idea of adding thyme to a fruit recipe, I have never grilled fruit (I did see someone grill watermelon on TV a while back and that still seems strange) and mixing goat cheese with ice cream = radical (in my mind).
Let me tell you, it was amazing. I made it last night even though the pre-cooking temperature in our kitchen was hovering around 95 degrees. No regrets. Enrique though it was so good that I could make it again tonight (not happening). I made only half of the recipe which was perfect for 2 people and could even serve four people if you ate a heavy dinner beforehand. Yum!

4 comments:

Kristen P - "Praz" said...

Love the peaches & herb reference... reunited and it feels so good!

I like the idea of grilled fruit but our grill is a pain to use. I should get a grill pan thing for our stove. We did grilled pineapple and other stuff at a friend's house once and it was awesome. Goat cheese mixed with ice cream sounds delish. Good job, Sara. Oh and I will try the feta tonight. I have a weird confession, which I will tell you about privately or maybe I'll admit it to my blog. we'll see......

Kristen P - "Praz" said...

omg I just read goat cheese tartlettes... I can't wait to EAT ... I am already planning it out so I know how many calories I should save the weeks leading up to your wedding.!!!

Hindsight Bride said...

What fun! I loved testing cake recipes for our DIY wedding cake!

Unknown said...

sounds like a good time to mention that I finally did attempt the mini goat cheese zucchini tartlets yesterday. (post vacation - post dog escape break down, sorry it took a little extra time). and no surprise, something made of pie crust, goat cheese, olive oil, zucchini, thyme and parmesan was tasty. I didn't have a teeny tiny cookie cutter, so my tartlets weren't so tiny, but way edible. basically, my feedback on this is that when the recipe says to be generous with the goat cheese, they mean it, otherwise it's crust. I'm not one to get all uptight about the 1/16" slices of zucchini folded in half and placed in concentric circles to form a flower..." so if you are, skip this and don't stress. but if you are down with thin slices of zucchin laid back & chillin' on a bad of chevre and dressed in nothing but thyme and parm, then we are all right.