Popular Posts

Monday, March 5, 2012

a life lesson

Today I was graced with a 30 minute life lesson from the dude who semi-looks after my neighbor. Among other gems of wisdom, after asking about Enrique (me: he is a professor in Portland) and my school (me: I am in graduate school) he proceeded to let me know how academics are communists, lack common sense, and are the reason that the United States is in such a horrible economic position. Also, he used to build homes for a living and can't do it anymore due to the far-reaching tentacles of academics. I don't know what that means. Amazingly enough, he didn't seem to think his opinions would be offensive to me in any way and looked surprised when I let him know that we weren't on the same page and that I would like to stop having this conversation and move back to the topic of why I have made some complaints against my neighbor and am leading the charge to remove him from his home. He then let me know that my fears of the old guy burning down the house were unfounded because you can't catch a house on fire from improper use of a microwave. I let him know that I do not believe this to be true and that I also didn't want to try and find out.
--
I also borrowed some wisdom from my father this week. He is a big fan (mostly in theory I believe) of preferring to burn his property before giving it away or selling it to someone who he doesn't approve of/wants to pay too little. I have been trying to unsuccessfully sell some plates on craigslist and finally got a hit. I should have known something was wrong when the lady who wanted to buy them was writing me in "text" language (e.g. u instead of you). This is not acceptable.
Anyway, after some exchanges she said:

Hi Sarah! I will be around 37th St in about an hour or so, do u have a  number where u can be reached? Address?....my cell is -----------thanks!
K


I can look past you misspelling my name, even though I already sent you two emails. I wrote her back:


Sure K. My address is 4--- Pine St. You can call me when you are outside and I will come let you in. My phone is ------------. See you around 12:30pm.
Sara

Nothing fancy. 
Like two hours later when I didn't hear from her, I sent her a quick message inquiring if she might have changed her mind. 

Hi K,
I will be leaving my house soon. You mentioned you would be here around 12:30, but I haven't heard from you yet. Are you running late?

Nice right?

Her reply: 

Hi, i never gave u a specific time o said i would be around 37th st soon which is where im at now. If u left your number we could have met up....mine is ----------------- 
K

This level of agression from someone who wants to buy something from you, is late and is unsure how to properly address people who she doesn't know via email is unacceptable. How much aggression is acceptable in this situation. Absolutely none. 

I told her to forget it, but what I was thinking was "I would rather smash these plates on the floor one by one than sell them to you." 

Her final response when she realized she was an idiot. 

Aw Sarah, sorry for the miscommunication! I'm just now seeing your message...If you are still selling the items, maybe we can shoot for tomorrow if you're available...they're a nice lil' set...I have your number so let me know! 


Are you kidding me with that happy face (and the expression lil' set)?!? Smash them one-by-one. 

2 comments:

Kristen P - "Praz" said...

omg this entire entry was so awesome.

The craiglist thing cracks me up. John and I tried to buy a bed off some girl many years ago. It was practically new and the girl was moving in with her BF so she didn't need it. We responded immediately and said we'd pick it up (strap to John's car or whatever ) ASAP. She promised it would be ours, but she just needed it til the end of the week. Then on Thursday she told us she had juts promised it to someone else because they gave her a deposit. We would have given her a deposit, but she told us we could just give her the money on Friday! John was so livid he sent her a really, really nasty email that I'm sure we'd all be embarrassed to read now... but whatever.

Enrique Cortez said...

I like your dad wisdom.
In my opinion, if you try to sell your stuff not-too-cheap there is more options to get better costumers. I am sorry that you have to hear this story about academics. I am not surprise in general. He is basically repeating what Santorum or another idiot alike usually says.