Popular Posts

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

favorite paella

Here is the recipe for our favorite paella, which I make at least once a month. it is actually the only paella I have ever made because I find they usually have beef, seafood, or some other ingredient that I won't eat (I am picky if you didn't know). Someday I hope to have a real paella pan, but for now I make it in a wok and it works pretty well.
Ingredients:

  • 4 bone-in skin on chicken thighs
  • 2-4 links of chicken sausage (I usually buy the already cooked flavored ones- like garlic sausage)
  • 1/2 head of cauliflower (or broccoli) cut into pieces
Spice Mixture:
  • 1 teaspoon caraway, ground
  • 2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • A pinch of salt

  • 1 tablespoon harissa
  • 2 cups Arborio (risotto) rice
  • 8 ounces tomato sauce
  • 3-4 cups chicken stock
  • Salt to taste
  • 2 garlic cloves, diced
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 cup dry wine (I use any red wine we have)
Directions:
1. Put 1 tbsp of salt on the chicken and let sit in fridge for at least 1 hour (or overnight)
2. Mix spices in a small bowl and set aside
3. Cut the sausage into bite size discs and brown in the paella pan (or wok). Remove and place onto a paper towel, keeping sausage fat in the pan. 
4. Remove chicken from ridge and pat dry. 
5. Cook the chicken in the sausage fat (Add olive oil if necessary). Place skin side down for 3-5 minutes (medium/high heat), then flip and cook 2 more minutes. Remove and add to sausage plate for later. 
6. Add chopped garlic to oil and a pinch of the spice mixture. Add the cauliflower and cook for 3-5 minutes. Sprinkle with more spice mixture.
7. Add wine and mix well.  Add sausage and harissa. 
8. Add tomato sauce and mix well. Add more spice mixture.
9. Add the risotto rice and mix well. Then add the sausage and mix again. Pour the chicken stock over the rice.
10. Finally add chicken (skin side up) and sprinkle on the remaining spice mixture. 
11. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 20-30 minutes. Stir the rice a few times to make sure the liquid gets to the bottom (very important if using a wok which doesn't have a nice flat bottom). I usually simmer for the first 10-15 minutes with a lid and then remove the lid.
 Enjoy.

No comments: