Popular Posts

Thursday, November 4, 2010

wherehaveyoubeen?

Photo credit--Enrique
It is almost the end of the week. I don't have to go to school tomorrow, although I am vowing to get so much work done this weekend that you wouldn't have believed it was even possible. Seriously. 

Some random thoughts: 

Rain, rain, and more rain. I usually kind of like the rain, but it is cold and really wet outside (plus no scooting in the rain). This kind of cheers me up though. 

Michelle and I went to see "Waiting for Superman." It was pretty good, although depressing at the same time. I like Michelle Rhee. Too bad no one else in DC did.     

(Online?) Book club is happening. Let me know if you want to get in on this (you do- it will be awesome). Basically it would involve reading a book once a month-ish. I know Kristen is in. Anyone else? You can email me (sshumans@gmail.com) if you want to do it (you really do). Don't worry,  you don't have to come up with any earth shattering insights, basically you should just be able to read the book. I haven't even picked up a pleasure reading book since school started and enough is enough. There is really no excuse. I would like to get this started for December, so let me know asap.

5 comments:

lmw said...

oh no you didn't. out of respect for me, your dear friend and a soon to be teacher, you did not like Waiting for Superman. That movie is part of this movement to blame teachers for the state of education. that movie is awful and biased. it showed not ONE successful class or teacher. and the cartoon of teachers dumping 'knowledge' into kids heads was INSULTING.
teachers unions are not fundamentally evil, they exist to protect teachers from these type of unfounded attacks.
you should watch david guggenhiem's first documentary: The First Year. it is completely opposite of Waiting for Superman.

oh my, i am so angry right now!

Kristen P - "Praz" said...

omfg... that video is amazing. I just watched it 3 times!! how cute! I think you should post daily e & lulu updates and they should start their own blog of their adventures!
how is dog life, btw?

ssHUMANs said...

sorry leah! I do think that teachers and especially the unions are in large part responsible for a lot of the failures in the edu system (at least in dc anyway where i got to see it first hand). there are a lot of really great teachers and the video definitely showed some of them (the founders of the kipp school, the dude in harlem). i didn't see the movie blaming the teachers, i saw it as blaming the inefficiency of the the system. i love you.


praz- i will try to convince enrique to make that happen, but it seems doubtful.

Michelle said...

That video is so cute. I agree with Kristin- I want more!

I am in for book club. I will see if I can recruit any other interested people.

Sorry I never blog about anything- I also have no time and no cute dog to dance with. Boo.

Kristen P - "Praz" said...

It's very interesting that Leah is so against that movie. Amanda has been teaching for 4 years now, both in inner city and super rural areas, and she is a huge lover of the movie and wants everyone to see it. So I guess it depends on the teacher.

I haven't seen it yet, but I am going to. The dude from Harlem you refer to... do you mean Geoffrey Canada? I saw him in the trailer for the movie and that's what got me pumped (though I suppose not pumped enough, yet) to see it. He is awesome.