Blog attempt numero uno (Dedicated to SSHumans):
So this weekend I started composting. I had gotten this composter for my birthday, but hadn't been able to put it together on my own and finally had help on Sunday. I've been saving my vegetable/fruit scraps for a few weeks, so I was all set to start composting. I put everything into the composter (shredded leaves, grass, weeds, veg/fruit scraps) and turned it around a few times to mix up the soon to be "black gold". The directions that it came with said wait three days and then check the temperature, and apparently, if everything is done properly it won't stink. Well today (Tuesday!) I went out to take a peak and it's dripping some nasty black goo onto the grass below and it is slightly ripe in there. I'm afraid that I'm cooking up a big batch of rotting garbage in my 15'x20' back yard. I guess we'll see what happens. Hopefully the neighbors don't complain!
Love,
Bloggy McBloggerson
5 comments:
Hey I will ask my mom to come here when she has a moment and give you some composting tips. She can only compost for a few months each year, I think, because of the cold temps in MN. But she loves it.
We have a giant compost pile at our town "transfer station" (we are too snooty to have a dump), and two weeks ago when I took my leaves to add to the pile, I noticed what looked like smoke rising from the back of the pile (It's like 30 feet high in some places). So I raced over to the office to report a fire, and the Dump Mistress (that is not her official title, but what we call her) said "oh yeah, that's the compost cooking." I never knew! I found it so amazing, I came home and made Victoria go back with me to see the compost at work! Have fun with your compost!
We have a giant compost pile at our town "transfer station" (we are too snooty to have a dump), and two weeks ago when I took my leaves to add to the pile, I noticed what looked like smoke rising from the back of the pile (It's like 30 feet high in some places). So I raced over to the office to report a fire, and the Dump Mistress (that is not her official title, but what we call her) said "oh yeah, that's the compost cooking." I never knew! I found it so amazing, I came home and made Victoria go back with me to see the compost at work! Have fun with your compost!
HI, I am Kristen's mom and it is true - I LOVE composting!! BUT, I understand that it might not be everybody's cup of tea. (and speaking of tea...tea bags and coffee grounds are great to add to your compost.)
You might have a bit too much "green" stuff - do you have additional dried leaves and dried grass to add?
Green = your fruit/veggie scraps, fresh green grass clippings, fresh green weeds and leaves, fresh manure (horse, chicken, rabbit, cow - NO DOG OR CAT FECES)
Brown = dried leaves, dried grass, straw, sawdust.
A good mix is 1:4 Green:Brown. However, I have never had a container and so you would want it to "cook" faster, so maybe a 1:2 or 1:3 ratio would work best for you. I once had a compost heap with so much green grass that even when there was snow everywhere, the pile was hot and steaming. I was afraid it was going to ignite, but it cooled down after I stirred it up.
My sister had a worm composting container that was awesome - the scraps would fall through layers of containers as the garbage got smaller and smaller and eventually turn into liquid gold...brown, stinky, liquid gold. mix with water, pour on plants, and never purchase miracle grow again.
Good luck!
Kristen's mom
ps: I never add twigs because I don't like having sticks and rocks in my dirt when I am potting plants.
Thanks for the info. I think you're right - I think that I did put too much green. I don't have any leaves in my yard, but this weekend I'll have to go to a park and grab some (My mom had brought a big bag from her home). I'm really excited for it and hope that it works out well! I'll keep everyone posted (I'll check in on it again today!)
Post a Comment